One of the most frustrating things about a beauty routine is trying to tame those overactive sebum glands. To help you maintain the perfect balance of oil on your face, we compiled a list of the best face moisturizers on the market today.
Too much oil on the skin can cause a buildup of dead skin, residual makeup, and other environmental junk, leading to clogged pores. Clogged pores produce unsightly whiteheads, blackheads, even large and painful cysts. While many people might think the key to avoiding these common skin issues is to get rid of all the oil - that is the farthest thing from the truth. What we want is a balance of oil.
When all the oil is scrubbed from the skin with harsh and chemically drying cleansers, not only is the buildup eliminated, but so are the healthy oils that nourish your skin, leading to dry patches, tightness, irritation, and even cracking or peeling.
So often, the extreme of stripping oils from your skin leads to the exact opposite which is an overproduction of oil. That is the skin on your face trying to compensate for the incredible dryness that sets in from too much or too harsh of soaps.
The truth is, you need moisture. Your skin needs moisture. Healthy and hydrated skin gives the highly sought after “dewy” complexion in a natural way. What better beauty accessory to have than your own skin?
We know it’s scary to apply lotions, creams, or gels to skin that you already struggle with. We get it. That’s why we took the time to research the following products for you. We took out the guesswork and the misconceptions in skincare, and we put it all together in one article to help you as you update or start your skincare routine.
Your skin will thank you.
Table of Comparison
Common Questions About Oily Skin
1. What Is Sebum?
Sebum is the oily secretion of the sebaceous glands. While high in vitamin E and containing many helpful attributes for skin, there can be too much of a good thing. Overproduction of the sebaceous glands can result in the buildup and clogged pores.
2. Why Does My Skin Need Moisture? There’s Already Oil Everywhere!
Believe it or not, if the skin is not properly hydrated, it will overcompensate by producing more oil, or sebum. Not only that, moisturizing provides so many benefits to skin, such as reducing the appearance of aging, protecting against environmental contaminants that can further damage the surface of the skin. And what feels better than a smooth and hydrated face?
3. How Do Moisturizers Work With My Oily/Combination Skin?
The best face moisturizers for oily skin use light ingredients to hydrate the skin effectively while ensuring the pores stay clear. Many formulas combine hydration with acne fighting components, although some of the best options are the ones that fight blemishes naturally, free of harsh chemicals.
4. Where Can I Buy Moisturizers For Oily/Combo Skin?
The best face moisturizers for your skin can be found almost anywhere, depending on what you are looking for in ingredients, benefits, and price range. A couple on our list you can find in the beauty section at your local grocery store while others can only be found online or high-end department stores.
5. What Can I Expect To Pay For Them?
When looking for the best face moisturizer for your needs, the cost is definitely something that should be considered. Knowing people from all backgrounds need help with their skincare routine, we included face lotions that range from $8 to $50.
Moisturizers can go much higher than this, but for accessibility, we kept our suggestions in this bracket.
How We Reviewed the Best Face Moisturizer
When it comes to skincare, we know that everyone is different. Skin reacts in unique ways to changes, depending on the individual. Because of this, we included a wide range of choices in our list and gave you the highlights of each.
We’ll tell you the best features, the pros and cons, where you can buy them, the estimated price, and a link to purchase. We’ve taken the uncertainty out of the oily skin and given you the best.
Overall Price Range
We included a variety of moisture options for a range of budgets. Whether skincare options are a top priority or low on your list, we made sure there’s something for everyone in our list. From grocery store finds on the cheap to specialty cream found only online, we found something for everyone.
What We Reviewed
- 1Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer, SPF 15
- 2Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel
- 3Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer
- 4Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb
- 5Mario Badescu A.H.A. & Ceramide Moisturizer
- 6Natio Daily Repair Oil-Free Moisturizer
- 7Shea Moisture African Black Soap Problem Skin Moisturizer
- 8The Body Shop Tea Tree Night Lotion
- 9Anthony Oil-Free Facial Lotion
- 10Forest Essentials Light Day Lotion Lavender And Neroli
10 Best Face Moisturizer
Starting us off with the well known Neutrogena, their Oil-Free Moisturizer with SPF is a winner for several reasons. This formula contains no dyes, fragrances, and no extra ingredients. You can rest assured you’re paying for the real product, no fillers that could cause irritation and more breakouts. It has even been allergy tested and is alcohol-free.
If you’re looking for something easy, cost-effective, and no-nonsense while being gentle for irritated skin, this could be the moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
- IDEAL ULTRA-LIGHT MOISTURIZER FOR OILY SKIN: Delivers vital hydration & protection from...
- Delivers light moisture and antioxidants to refresh, rejuvenate & hydrate skin. Vitamin C...
- Use Paula's Choice SKIN BALANCING Invisible Finish Moisture Gel Moisturizer twice daily as...
This is a gel option compared to some lotion or cream varieties. The gel leaves skin feeling light and hydrated while minimizing pores and providing helpful antioxidants to aid in healing and protecting. You can use this in a nighttime routine or during the day, followed by a sunscreen.
If you’re looking for an all-around moisturizer that can be used day or night and you don’t mind investing a little more money, this might the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
- BALANCED HYDRATION: Light-weight moisturizer that is designed specially for oily skin....
- SILICONE-FREE: silicone-free & non-comedogenic ingredients. Nourishes & repairs the skin...
- GOODNESS INSIDE: Green tea extracts are rich in anti-oxidants that apply the brakes on...
Just as the name implies, this cream has all the benefits of an oil-friendly moisture and gives skin a matte look, which is highly sought after for those struggling with the shiny forehead. Glycolic acid and green tea properties help calm and clear acne while tightening large pores with astringents and providing important protection with antioxidants.
When you want an oil fighting product that cuts shine while being easily affordable, this may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
No products found.
The True Cream Aqua Bomb combines gel and cream consistency from Korea that is known for how quickly it soaks into the skin. Ingredients like oat husk attract moisture and plantin locks that moisture in without that dreaded greasy feel.
If you’re prepared to pay a pretty penny for your skincare, and you want something that won’t feel heavy, this fabulous hydration hybrid may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
- Mario Bade cu's lightweight, greaseless, daily moisturizer will hydrate skin without...
- Soothing aloe formula is ideal for sensitive, oily or acne-prone skin
- Formulated with gentle botanicals and antioxidant vitamin C to improve skin's radiance and...
With a powerful ingredient list that includes glycolic acid, Mario Badescu A.H.A & Ceramide Moisturizer works not only to treat and fade the appearance of acne and acne scars but also exfoliates the face, resulting in clean pores to minimize the reappearance of blemishes.
When you want a dual action skin cream that not only nourishes your face but works to keep it clear and exfoliated, this may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
Capitalizing on the natural benefits of essential oils, Natio Daily Repair Moisturizer is also oil-free, which is perfect for those who are nervous about putting anything too heavy on their face. This option tones and moisturizes the skin while controlling oil production and reducing pore size.
Anyone who loves essential oils and their benefits will love this company, and this plant-based lotion may be the best face moisturizer for them.
Pros and Cons
- SheaMoisture African Black Soap Balancing Moisturizer is a face lotion, dry skin...
- This lightweight lotion for dry skin is a paraben free travel size lotion that combines...
- Blended with Black soap and fair trade Shea Butter, this moisturizing lotion and hand...
Chock full of natural oils, this is the moisturizer you want for convenience and intense skin repair. Ingredients like tea tree and salicylic acid keep pores clear and reduce the appearance of acne, both scars, and current blemishes. Natural fatty acids soothe and replenish dry skin while remaining light enough for oily areas.
If you’re not afraid of an intensive approach to hydration and you’d like to have something cost-effective, this may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
- Our tea tree night lotion has a gel lotion texture that provides light hydration for...
- Infused with our pure tea tree oil, this lotion will help to keep blemished skin under...
- Lightweight night care for blemish prone skin
This moisturizer is specifically designed to work while you sleep, fading acne spots and maintaining proper oil production. Some customer will be happy to note that The Body Shop Tea Tree Night Lotion is vegan and cruelty-free.
If you’d like a lotion you can use at night and need extra help with acne spots, this may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
- Our Oil Free Facial Lotion is a nourishing lightweight formula designed to absorb quickly,...
- Moisture-binding glycerin keeps your skin soft and supple while vitamin B5 conditions your...
- How to Use: Apply to clean skin morning and night. Smooth on face and neck with an upward...
Anthony Oil-Free Facial Lotion boasts an impressive ingredient list, which includes sodium PCA amino acids. These are naturally found in many proteins, GMO and gluten-free, and providing a powerful moisturizing punch. In addition, this cream uses the calming properties of chamomile and aloe vera, which makes it one of the best face moisturizers for those looking to correct redness.
If irritation and redness is a common problem for you and your budget is a little higher, this may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
- Ayurvedic Day Lotion Spray for Skin Protection - Infused with Lavendar and Neroli
- Made with the essential oils of Lavendar and Neroli to calm and purify the skin -...
- Ultra Light formulation provides a fine layer of protection from harmful airborne...
The plethora of special ingredients like Yasada Bhasma and Ashwagandha attribute to the most expensive option we’ve included in our list. Don’t be alarmed by the complicated names as these are some of the best natural alternatives in skincare. Yasada Bhasma is a natural sun protection, and ashwagandha, or Indian ginseng, and gokharu have amazing anti-inflammatory properties for irritations and redness.
For the people who are all about their natural remedies and ingredients and are willing to pay for it, this may be the best face moisturizer for you.
Pros and Cons
Whether your skin is oily or you battle the combination of dryness and shine, these moisturizers will get you started on the road to a healthy balance of natural oils, giving you control over your embarrassing skin issues, boosting your confidence, and making your skin very, very happy.
Last update on 2021-04-20 at 09:20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API